Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Don't mind me, I'm just trying to get home...

Sorry I haven't been posting. I'm caught up in a lot of work demands - and it's left little time for more important stuff like blogging. Because I feel like venting, I'll share a quick peek into one of the more frustrating moments of the past two weeks.

I had to work kinda late last Thursday night, so I took a cab home when I was done. It was a bad, stormy night with a lot of ice on the road, so it was not entirely surprising that my less than timid cab driver got into an accident. Not a bad one - but one that required us to get off the West Side Highway so my driver could discuss the particulars of the incident with the driver of the other car. Stellar. The three main problems as I saw it:

  1. My driver (who was clearly in the wrong) and the other driver both appeared to live life on the unsavory side of the fence. As their argument got more and more heated it occurred to me that it was not outside the realm of possibilities that one of these guys could pull a gun. This didn't really worry me so much as annoy me. I had zero time for this nonsense.
  2. The accident occurred far enough up the West Side Highway that the exit we were forced to pull off left us in a remote area of town under a dark overpass. Not a great place to bail and grab another cab even were it the height of rush hour, never mind 9:45 at night in an ice storm.
  3. The most egregious offense: my driver had left the meter running the entire time.

The huffing and puffing finally calmed down, my driver got back in the cab and continued on the way as though nothing had happened. Yes - I paid the full fare, but no - I did not tip very well.

No comments: