Monday, September 15, 2008

Meet the Mets

Brendan and Uncle Paul


Brendan attended his first Major League Baseball game on Saturday and watched the Mets lose to the Braves at Shea Stadium. He had absolutely no idea where he was, but it was an important milestone nonetheless.

Non-New Yorkers may not know that it's the last season in the current stadium for both our home town teams. The passing of Yankee Stadium is much more notable, I must say. It's an historic and iconic stadium. Shea on the other hand, looks like it was plunked down by the same pre-fab company that must have designed every other stadium built across the nation in the 60s. Worse than strip malls...

Be that as it may, Terence has now been able to take his son to the same place his own father took him to watch their beloved Mets do their thing. No doubt Grandpa Voltz was enjoying a Schlitz and smiling down.

By the way, although I'm not ignorant in all sports (most of you realize I know a thing or two about football and golf), I think Brendan followed the game as well as I could have. The last time I was at Shea, I was intently watching the field through binoculars when the crowd errupted. I had to ask Terry what happened. He seemed puzzled, "Aren't you watching?" I let him know I had been using the binoculars to follow some napkins that were blowing through the outfield as I tried to figure out how fast they were moving. All the while, I conjured fuzzy memories of high school physics. I remember thinking, "Isn't there some phenomenon that distorts perception of velocity from a distance? What's it called? What's it called? Doppler effect? No, that's sound. What's it called.... Why are people cheering?"

Because Terry will undoubtedly post this in the comments if I don't say it myself, I will also preemptively admit that I kept referring to the catcher as the shortstop. In my defense, there was some logic to the mixup. The catcher stands in front of the backstop. Backstop. Shortstop. Whatever. As long as there is cold beer and mustard for the dogs, I'm happy with just the napkins in the outfield.

(Sorry, H. I know this is a particularly painful post for you to read. On many levels.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - I haven't checked in for a while - Brendan is so big already! Is that red hair? Your vaca looks great too - I am so jealous!

Anonymous said...

Sigh......painful yes, but at least Terry is starting the little guy off correctly! And you have photos to prove it!

(And I suspect Brendan did a better job following the game than you might have, as I'm quite sure Terry was already explaining what was going on, why pitchers were being replaced, who the pinch hitters were, etc.)

Anonymous said...

Hey U 3! My dad is drinking Schlitz too from above although rooting for the Cubbies! It's me on Carmen's computer in Casper Wyoming. Gonna be at Bethpage next month for a wedding and looking forward to a few days in Manhattan! Just happen to be thinking of you guys and glad to see some things never change. Great post. Go Cubbies. Kevin.

JAV said...

Kevin - let me know if you've got any free time while you're in town!

Anonymous said...

Oh man - if only they were playing better!! Well they still control their destny.

It's great you got a photo at the last season at Shea, definitely something for the scrapbook.