Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Black Satin Props

No fewer than six nurses, one anesthesiologist and one surgeon ALL commented on the Black Satin during my hospital stay. It was a big hit.

Actually, it wasn't a big hit with the anesthesiologist at first. I had literally just hopped up on the table, and Dr. Bekker looked at my hand and said: "Didn't anyone tell you not wear polish?" I had THOROUGHLY examined all literature for that exact info before my mani on Monday, and yes - I was sure, no one had told me. Also, a friend who'd recently had surgery told me she had been allowed to wear polish - the ban was no longer on.

Be all that as it may, I told the crew to look for something with acetone in it. Someone tried something dabbed on some gauze - it didn't work. So I told them all my husband was right outside, and I could send him to Duane Reade across the street for nail polish remover. I was dead serious - but apparently that was funny. There was a lot of laughing. Then they just set up some other monitor and the crisis was avoided. I woke up with an intact mani/pedi.

Next comment came from the night nurse in ICU who mistook the color for Wicked. It was dark. I excused the faux pas and loved the compliment. My tumor was gone. Fashion was important again, all was right with the world.

No comments: