Monday, April 23, 2007

A word on yoga pants

For the past month, my wardrobe has consisted almost exclusively of pajamas, yoga pants and pajamas that look like yoga pants.

I was into yoga for about a four week period during 2005. I wasn't into yoga so much as I was into the associated clothing and accessories. It all started with this adorable yoga bag that I saw in a Vietnamese import store in SOHO. It was made by hand entirely of buttons. Cute! Then of course, I had to get the clothes. So I went to some upscale yoga clothing store and bought pants and T shirts. What made them specifically suited to yoga poses? I have no idea. But they were cute! Somewhere along the way I also bought a pair of yoga pants at Target. They were so much cheaper and they matched one of the (cute!) T shirts I bought at the upscale yoga boutique.

So fast forward two years. I never do yoga. The button bag is essentially a decorative element in my office, and I'm using all those clothes as post surgery lounge wear. So here's my real point. The pants are getting more wear and tear than they ever have before. The Target pants that I bought for something like $15 are going gangbusters. The boutique pants that were I don't know how much more than $15 because I've blocked it out? Completely falling apart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Joan - ain't that the way. just went back to yoga myself. all that 'massaging the digestion' in cobra and 'send your breath into your right ankle' - not sure if i buy it all, but i sure do adore that 5 minute nap at the end!

glad to see how awesomely you're progressing - before you know it we'll be running into each other in starbucks once again!

best,
michelle f

JAV said...

Yes - I stopped going to class when a disproportionate amount of the time was spent on imagining being at one with the center of the earth.

Can't WAIT to run into you at Starbuck's. I didn't even tell the folks down there that I was going to be out for a while. It seemed like too much to go into with a line of caffeine starved folks behind me.

They are so nice to me in there, they usually have my regular order (grande latte and a slice of banana nut loaf - or cheddar brioche swirl when they have it) waiting for me at the register by the time I get to the front of the line. It will be a whole new crew by the time I get back - I'll have to retrain them!

xo
jv