Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Milestones

1. My haircutter told me at my last appointment that my hair is now even on both sides, and he no longer has to cut one side differently to camouflage an inconsistency. He was going to pop some champagne, but alas, no bubbly for me in my condition. (By the way, didn't it take forever to grow out my hair!? No one could tell there was any difference for some time now, but there was. The texture and density were different. Apparently it takes a while for blood supply to return to the follicles so they begin to function normally again. Who knew? Turns out my follicles were more traumatized than I was.)

2. I just drove on the highway for the first time this past weekend. I didn't feel entirely comfortable because turning my head from side to side still triggers the vertigo sensation, so switching lanes is a little unsettling. But it really was time - and it went fine. But if you see me on the roads in a little silver jetta - may want to keep your distance.

3. I cooked something last night. Terry is still in Argentina and I've already finished the package of English Muffins that was in the freezer (I've been getting home from work way too late to have the patience to wait for takeout), so I actually resorted to making something all by myself. Mac n Cheese with tuna and peas. I don't know if you would count this as cooking, but I do since I combined ingredients that didn't originally come together. Plus I had to use the stove top and several kitchen gadgets such as a slotted spoon, a can opener and a collander. Consider how desperate I am: last week I was still hungry after finishing some doggy bag chicken so I topped it off with three spoonfuls of chunky peanutbutter.

4. Terry has ordered the range for the kitchen. There is no turning back. After torturing for several months about whether the love of his life was a Thermador, a Blue Star or an American Range, he went with the American Range. They start ripping out our kitchen on March 10th. Seriously, could I have timed this worse? Taking chaos in stride is going to be an early life lesson for Baby Voltz. Here's a picture of the range. We might include this picture on the birth announcements.

6 comments:

b said...

Congratulations on your many milestones!

Love the stove. Am about to do some kitchen renovations myself. Scary, isn't it?

JAV said...

Thanks, b! Yes - I knew we were in the same boat when I read your post torturing about counter top choices. Indeed - it's very scary. It's too much money to afford a "do over" on anything. Makes me freeze with indecision.

jv

JAV said...

Oh - and b - your letter to Joe made me cry.

b said...

aww. Sorry for making you cry.

JAV said...

b -

Don't worry - I didn't mean it was bad!

TGV said...

Tell me that range doesn't ROCK. Serious BTU's, baby - I'm talkin' 8 quarts of water boiling in 5-6 minutes.
OK, I need to get a life.