Friday, March 21, 2008

Anniversary

My surgery was one year ago today. I can hardly believe it. It's funny how anniversaries can bring everything right back. The weather feels the same, the sunlight feels the same - it's made me remember how scared I was. I wish I could go back and tell that girl that brain surgery is no big deal. Just do what they tell you and before you know it, it's over.

To alleviate some of my anxiety, I interviewed a lot of brain surgery patients in the weeks leading up to my procedure. One of the things they all advised me was that I would feel much better after the first three months, and I would think I was back to normal after six. But at one year it would be as though a veil had been lifted and then I would remember what normal is.

Well, I believe that I will miss this epiphanal experience as my body is far from normal at this point. Something tells me another epiphany is right around the corner...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say "Happy Anniversary" because it IS a happy occasion. You came through with flying colors, and despite the hearing loss you've soldiered on and not only are you back to "normal", but BEYOND normal! Can't wait till young Mr or Miss Voltz makes an appearance! Congratulations on an incredibly eventful, and life affirming, year!

JAV said...

Thanks, Helen! Yes - fun adventures ahead. So how's this for irony - my doctor sent me for a sonogram today. The sonogram suite was literally next to the offices where I originally was diagnosed with my tumor. I was showing Terry the desk where I stood waiting to make my co-pay with tears just about ready to come down my cheeks. What a difference a year makes...

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

WOW what irony! Well, at least now that building/floor no longer has nothing but negative associations for you! "it was the best of floors...it was the worst of floors..."

JAV said...

Thanks for reading, TV de LCD