Friday, June 13, 2008

If it's Sunday...


...it's Meet the Press.

I have been watching Meet the Press every Sunday for about 15 years. I loved almost nothing better than sipping a cup of coffee while watching Tim Russert methodically chip away at whomever he had on the hot seat that week. He was always unbelievably prepared and would never let his guests off the hook. Yet civility was always preserved. In a world of 24/7 cable news, Russert's style utterly lacked sensation in a way that made the truth more clear.

Aside from his masterful ability as an interviewer, he always came across as a genuinely good guy. Someone who loved his family fiercely and remained true to his humble beginnings despite the awesome power he had earned. It sounds strange, but I feel like I knew him (not to mention Big Russ and Luke). So I was so stunned today when I heard of his death at the age of 58. I immediately turned on MSNBC and literally wept as I listened to coverage of today's sad events.

Sunday mornings are feeling less engaging already. How can we possibly hold this election without him...

No comments: