Monday, September 17, 2007

Quotable?

Sorry for falling off the radar for a while. Last week was busy. But in the middle of it, I did experience a pleasant acknowledgment of the fact that my eavesdropping days are not over. It was a sweet reminder of a favorite hobby I thought was only in my past.

I'm a shameless eavesdropper. I will listen in rapt attention to any conversation happening within earshot. It doesn't have to be interesting. I once missed my subway stop because I was listening to two women talk about their daughters who were taking clarinet lessons. From the same teacher as it turns out. Imagine that. The next stop didn't have an overpass so I had to exit the station, walk across the avenue and pay again to re-enter on the uptown side. But at least I knew clarinet lessons were every Wednesday at 4:30.

Since the surgery, I can't discern words against any kind of background noise. My eavesdropping skills have been compromised to the point that I have been forced to mind my own business in public spaces for the past 6 months.

So imagine the depths of my vicarious thrill while waiting for friends in the (quiet) waiting area of a restaurant last week as I slowly discovered I was overhearing a conversation between the hostess and a waiter who'd been hanging around the hostess station to flirt:

    Waiter: "Smell you later"
    Hostess: "Hey, who was the first person to say that?:
    Waiter: "I don't know."
    Hostess: "Was it Urkel? That sounds like something Urkel would say. [repeat in an Urkel voice] Smell you later !"
    Waiter: "I think it was Screech."
Thank God I didn't miss that one.

9 comments:

Carmen said...

Hilarious Joan! My boyfriend believes that my good ear has become better since I have single sided hearing as I can still hear pretty well! At least on the good side... He is amazed at what I can hear. I haven't been in eaves dropping mode for a long time though. I guess I'll have to try it out given the right environment. "Smell you later!"

Anonymous said...

oldewoman/purple chai ...

I think Smell you later comes from The Simpsons, or possibly The Fresh Prince of Belair.

Anyway, sometimes, the hearing aids pick up other people's conversations, as opposed to the people I'm talking to, depending how and where everyone's standing.

JAV said...

Hey, Carmen! How are you feeling? And how is Cooper?

Yes - I think in a quiet environment my left ear has gotten better. But the minute the background noise kicks up, I'm hopeless.

jv

JAV said...

Hi, PC. I'm with you - I think it goes farther back than Urkel. Fresh Prince sounds right. And yes - life has become a study in ventrilloquism!

TGV said...

Pretty sure it was Bart Simpson - at least that's where I remember hearing it. Although it sounds a little Urkel-ian.

FUN FACT: Back in the early 90's, Ralston Purina test-marketed an "Urkel" kids cereal, so I worked with the actor who portrayed him (Jaleel White) on a commercial shoot. Hell of a nice guy - he was actually, like, 26 years old when he was playing that character. In case you're wondering why you never got to feed your kids Urkel Cereal, the test market did not pay out (shocker).

JAV said...

TGV, of the cereals you launched (or at least brought to test market), which would you say made the greatest contribution to society?

- Urkel Cereal
- Breakfast with Barbie
- New Kids on the Block Cereal

I'm not sure why people think marketing is evil.

TGV said...

I would have to go with "WWF Cereal" (World Wrestling Federation) as my finest contribution to the human experience. I remember shooting with "Earthquake" and "Tugboat", two enormous hulks who were stars in Vince McMahons wrestler stable at the time (also early 90's). They told us that Vince McMahon paid them extra if they bled in the ring, so they would put safety pins in their mouths and open them with their tongues during the match so they could spit out blood. What better role models for 10 year olds? I was so proud.

Anonymous said...

Fresh Prince Of Bel Air Theme Song Lyrics (Will Smith)


Will Smith - Fresh Prince Of Bel Air Theme Song Lyrics


Now this is the story all about how
My life got flipped, turned upside down
And I’d like to take a minute just sit right there
I’ll tell you how I became the prince of a town called bel-air

In west philadelfia born and raised
On the playground where I spent most of my days
Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool
And all shooting some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys said "we’re up in no good"
Started making trouble in my neighbourhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
And said "you’re moving with your aunte and uncle in bel-air"

(only the first three episodes of season one)

I begged and pleaded with her the other day
But she packed my suitcase and sent me on my way
She gave me a kissin’ and she gave me my ticket
I put my walkman on and said I might aswell kick it

First class, yo this is bad,
Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass
Is this what the people of bel-air livin’ like,
Hmm this might be alright!

I whistled for a cab and when it came near the
Licensplate said "fresh" and had a dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought now forget it, yo home to bel-air

I pulled up to a house about seven or eight
And I yelled to the cabby "yo, home smell you later"
Looked at my kingdom I was finally there
To settle my throne as the prince of bel-air

JAV said...

Anonymous 8:52 -

I LOVE it. That was one of my favorite shows and I actually know all those lyrics by heart - but I did NOT know (or did not remember) the missing verse. I'm impressed.

Well, smell you later!

jv