Monday, January 7, 2008

A love hate relationship

Sometimes I love him so much I can hardly stand it. Sometimes he disappoints me to the degree that I wish he'd just get out of my life forever. I'm speaking of Eli Manning, of course. And today I love him.

Let's see how I feel next Sunday at about 7:00 pm. But for now, I'm thrilled that there even is a next Sunday.

In case you haven't heard by now, the Giants beat the Bucs yesterday and won their first playoff game since 2000. It was Eli's very first playoff win since being drafted, in fact, hopefully laying some demons to rest. Next week we play the Cowboys - and here's something that may surprise you: it will be the very first time the Giants play Dallas in the post season. Ever. Weird - huh?

This past week I was discussing the upcoming game with a colleague who asked about my weekend plans. I explained that I had all but written my team off due to an abysmal showing in the second part of the season, but now I had some hope after seeing how they performed against the Pats. I started to continue, but my colleague stopped me mid-sentence and said, "Joan, let me just interrupt you right there. Gay men just don't care about football. Many before you have tried to engage me in this conversation. I can't go there." I countered that I was a little puzzled by that stance since there were so many exceptionally good looking men in the NFL. "It's a bunch of 300 pound men. Not my thing." Still not accepting this, I said, "Well, they're not all that way. The quarterbacks and receivers, for example are very svelte. Look at Tom Brady." I was stopped dead in my tracks with a wave of the hand and a simple statement that I could find no fault with, and indeed, have myself invoked in many situations: "Yes. Well, I just don't have time to sift through all that riff-raff." Say no more...


A picture of my brother and I watching yesterday's game at my mom's house (I went old school with Simms - I felt we could use a little 1986):

6 comments:

robwitham said...

Oh, how I know how you feel!!! I didn't even make specific plans to watch the Tampa Bay game, thinking the "usual" version of Eli would once again show up in a playoff game.

I'm pleasantly surprised! I also don't hold out a lot of hope for Sunday. Unless, of course, we can coax Jessica Simpson to Texas Stadium! :)

JAV said...

Blue67ccm -

I'm hoping the bye week with Jessica has tired Tony out!

Check it out:
http://www.tmz.com/2008/01/07/jessica-simpson-and-tony-romos-fiesta-bowl/

jv

Anonymous said...

Broke a lot of hearts here in Tampa! But I have to admit I was rooting for the Gints!

JAV said...

Atta girl, Helen. You can take the girl out of New York...

Well, I hope we'll be breaking some hearts in Dallas this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed.

jv

Carmen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JAV said...

Hey, Carmen! Glad you're still out there. I'll email you at your address...

jv