Sunday, July 22, 2007

48 is not just a number


I may only qualify by marriage, but on Saturday I was very proud to be a Voltz. My husband and his sister, Mary Ann, are two of FORTY-EIGHT first cousins. On Saturday we jammed as many of them as we could into one back yard in Clifton, Virginia (it was a big back yard), and held the first ever Voltz family reunion. It was an impressive event. Truly.

With so many cousins (keep in mind, they're all from Terry's dad's side. Mom was an only child), it would be impossible for anyone to keep track of them all. So not only were there many family members I hadn't met in the 12 years I've been with Terence, there were even family members Terry had never met. In fact, the gathering was hosted by Frank Voltz (and his delightful fiance, Anita), and although Frank was named after Terence's father, these two cousins had never met.

We had an unforgettable day. Lost time was made up. Legendary tales breathed new life. Matriarchs mingled. Progeny debuted. Spouses looked on in awe, fully aware we were witnessing an important event in the history of a great family.

Everyone immediately began thinking about the second annual locale. My mother doesn't know this yet (are you reading, mom?), but Terry volunteered her backyard. She may not be a Voltz, but my mom can't wait to meet you all!



Aunt Martha and Aunt Terry. Two of the original 10 siblings. Terry's dad was the oldest (thus nicknamed Sonny), and Aunt Terry (right) is the youngest.



We need a wide angle lens!


Voltzes make good looking children.


They say you can't choose your family, but we're all pretty happy with this assignment.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joan, these reunions are awesome! We had one a few years ago when my grandmother was still alive. She had all 4 of her surviving children there (2 have passed). Plus 11 of her 13 grandchildren (13 cousins). Plus 9 of her 13 GREAT grandchildren. The pictures are treasures!

Congrats to Terry & his family for doing this! Someone should put together the family tree.

JAV said...

They had a big piece of presentation board hanging up on the side of the house and people were filling in the tree all day. It was so absolutely amazing.

Your grandmother must have loved that party. Can you imagine being surrounded by all those people and knowing if not for you they wouldn't exist? Wow.

Anonymous said...

GREAT Blog! No where else could I read about the Voltz/Velsor Family Reunion, Paris Hilton and one of my fave tv shows, Flight of The Concords!

Cindy "also by marriage only" Velsor
cvelsor@yahoo.com

JAV said...

Thanks, Cindy! I aim for one-stop shopping. It's a silly collection of thoughts, but a fun hobby! By the way, my mom is on board. Looks like the next reunion will be in New York. More info to follow.

jv

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blog! I agree with Cindy that it's great to read about the family reunion along with other items of interest (?!!). I particularly liked the piece on John Daly. Wow! That couch that converts into a bed is pretty cool, too.

As the oldest Voltz cousin, I must say that the day was a joy. While I can't say that I knew each cousin at first sight, I probably held most of them at one time or another!

Frank and Anita are to be sincerely commended for opening up their beautiful home to us all, and, Joan, if you and your mom (once she finds out!)are really serious about hosting another get-together, I will be happy to help you with whatever you need.

Thanks again, Joan, for this beautiful piece.

Carol "the oldest" Velsor Porr

JAV said...

Ha! Thanks, Carol! Yes - my mom knows she's been volunteered, and she's thrilled about it. I can't say her house is as spacious as Frank and Anita's, so we all may get a bit cozier at the Second Annual ;) But it's certainly big enough for us all to have a good time.

We'll keep everyone posted - I've told Terence he should get a save the date out pretty soon so people can plan ahead. Those things tend to creep up on you!

Thanks for reading!

jv

Anonymous said...

Joan, I just read the blog and it brought tears to my eyes!! It truly was a wonderful day. One that I never thought would happen since our family is so large. It was so great seeing family that I hadn't seen in years and meeting others that I knew about but had never met. I know that my parents were smiling down on us that day! Can't wait until next year!

Debbie (Voltz) Tricarico
(Tom Voltz's daughter)

JAV said...

Hi, Debbie! Thanks for reading. I thought it was an amazing day - so I can't even begin to imagine what it was like for you all. Can't wait for next year!