Friday, July 13, 2007

Movie Commentary: The Devil Wears Prada

Not a full review, but just a comment. This movie is being regularly aired on one of the movie channels right now - can't remember which one. I am Hamptons bound this afternoon, so I watched while I packed my weekend bag last night. It reminded me how much I love this movie.

If you saw the trailer way back when and thought this wasn't for you because it's a ridiculous chick flick about fashion, you should reconsider. Meryl Streep's performance is so deliciously complex and the result is thrilling to the core. She is the master of communicating a range of emotions with a subtle arch of the eyebrow, and this film showcases her prowess. Adrien Grenier's character is a little mopey and annoying - but pretty to look at nonetheless. Stanley Tucci is adorably lovable. The inside look at fashion is a healthy dose of vicarious glamour. It's all good.

Even my husband loves it (most likely due to the fact that Anne Hathaway is corseted to within an inch of her life almost entirely throughout, but still.)

A personal homage: I was dressed as The Devil Wears Prada at our Oscar party this year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had already read the book, so I was actually disappointed in a couple of changes they made in the movie. Plus I thought Anne Hathaway was waaaay too pretty, and slim, to have been the protagonist. But it's still a fun movie!

JAV said...

I remember being a little disappointed in some of the story changes the first time I saw it - but somehow after repeated viewings, I can't even remember what the changes were. Now I love the movie on its own. But you're right - the book is always better. The only time I can remember not being disappointed in the movie version of a book I had read was Cider House Rules. Definitely rent it if you haven't seen it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the suggestion! A couple of others that were as good as the book: Princess Bride (one of my all-time favorite movies) and one for Terry: Field of Dreams (the book is actually called Shoeless Joe I think. The author was stunned when the movie was named, since Field of Dreams was his original name for the book but the publisher didn't like it).

TGV said...

Hey Helen - I agree on "Shoeless Joe" and "Field of Dreams" - great translation. And I'll add "Lord of the Rings". Yes, they fiddled with the story, yes they eliminated characters, yes, there was a LOT less Elvish poetry and song (OK, the Elvish poetry and song is far less compelling without the dorm-room bong gymnastics). But overall, a magnificent job - and this from a Tolkein geek who read the trilogy about 7 times.

Unknown said...

TGV,

Could not agree more. I was very sceptical when the first installment came out, but P. Jackson did an incredible job. Although I haven't read the books in a while, they more then did then justice. As for being a Tolkein geek (and beyond) my D&D character was named Strider!

e

Anonymous said...

Terry, I have to agree with you - after all we DID see the first 2 together! (And I still think Viggo was hot - LOL)