Saturday, August 4, 2007

Aussie-Aussie-Aussie-Oy-Oy-Oy-Vey!

You will not believe this video of Jake Brown. While competing in yesterdays X Games in LA, this 32 year old man fell from over 40 vertical feet and somehow walked away. He is hospitalized today, but his injuries are not as serious as you would expect after seeing him fall 5 stories.

This video is truly shocking, but somewhat easier to watch when you know the outcome. Make sure you watch to the end to see the slow motion. He literally hits the ground so hard his shoes explode off his feet.

I didn't believe he could walk away until I heard he was an Aussie. Those folks are just not like anyone else.




PS: Terry and I are in a debate over the title of this post. He tells me no one has heard the phrase "Aussie-Aussie-Aussie-Oy-Oy-Oy." It's a cheer of national pride for Australians. Like "U - S - A! U - S - A!", but without the Confederate flags and tinged with less xenophobia.

Update: Apparently YouTube has removed the video due to copyright issues with whatever network aired the X Games. Good thing, I suppose - it was the stuff nightmares are made of.

5 comments:

TGV said...

OK, I didn't say NOBODY knows what "Aussie Aussie Aussie, oy oy oy!" means. I simply proposed to Joan that most Yanks don't know, and that the main reason that WE know is 'cause we have a disconcertingly large circle of Australian friends.

In fact, Joan and I DO try to use as many colorful Australian expressions as possible in our daily conversation. I tell my clients "Good onya" at least twice a week whether they deserve it or not, and just last month I informed a rude gas station attendant that he was uglier than a hatful of a--holes (special thanks to KB for that one).

Well, I'm feeling a little famished now; heading out to get some tucker. G'day.

JAV said...

Also love and use all the time:
No worries.
Bless his/her cotton socks.
Every man and his dog. (instead of every man and his brother. makes more sense, doesn't it? If you're already talking about every man, then mentioning his brother is redundant).

Anonymous said...

Well, as a Yank who knows the phrase, I was particularly delighted by Joan's headline. It's just the latest and dare I say finest example of the witty smithing I have come to count on.

No freaking way I'm looking at that clip, though.

Anonymous said...

Hey, *I* know what it means!!! If you have EVER been in a bar where there was more than 1 Aussie drinking, you'll have heard it. So I suspect more Yanks know it than TV realizes!

TGV said...

Helen, not everyone spends as much time in bars with sloshed Australians as you do! OK, I do, but not everybody.

And I almost forgot one of my favorites: when someone gets pregnant, they say she "fell down pregnant". I dispute the logic of this - generally one gets UP pregnant, right? - but it is a winner nonetheless.