Thursday, August 2, 2007

Bloomingdale's inflicted temporary insanity

I already have a well documented problem with circles. But since a friend staged an intervention, I've been self aware and have been recovering nicely without rehab. So how can I explain Saturday's purchase?

I was in the market for something colorful. We give a prize for "Most Colorful Pants" at my tournament - a playful tribute to the outfits my father had the nerve to wear both on and off the course. Although I can't win, I like to support the fun. I bought this dress at Bloomie's SOHO. Not really that colorful, but all the Fall lines are out already. Pickings were slim. I was thinking some bright Tory Burch shoes could punch it up. Anyway, I truly didn't even realize it had circles all over it until I got home.


It's almost as though my subconsciousness was working so hard to suppress the circular pattern that it didn't allow the more obvious problem to emerge. Seconds behind the discovery of the offending geometry, a realization that I already have almost the same exact dress came rushing into my brain.


The dress is going back. But it's all working out for the best. It forced further exploration for something colorful and I think I have outdone myself this year.


Bless her cotton socks, the sales lady asked me if I wanted to join the store's loyalty program. Once I spent $300 I would get 5% off every future purchase. Of tacky crap. No thanks. (By the way - I got them on sale, thank God, because the original price was $80! For these!?)

No comments: