Friday, November 30, 2007

Make yourself at home, just stay out of my way

I've made it well known here that I love New York City. I'm very protective of this town, and don't like to hear people disparage this place as dirty, crime-ridden or no place to raise a child. I know that non-natives can't understand or love it the way those of us who are "hardwired New Yorkers" do, but I do know that outsiders can love it their own way. Trust me, I am not interested in keeping non-New Yorkers out and love the spirit that draws them here in the first place.

Having said all that, this past Wednesday brought the confluence of two events that will require an extra dose of patience for me from now until about January 12th. On Wednesday evening at around 8:00 pm, the tree in Rock Center was lit. Later that same evening, an agreement was reached that ended the strike of the Broadway stage hand workers' union and the lights were up again on the Great White Way.

From past experience, I know what I am in for from the minute that tree is lit until Little Christmas. A glimpse into the patience-trying situations I will be forced to endure over the next month and a half as I go about my every day life: overweight families wearing sneakers will leisurely stroll arm in arm down the sidewalk at a snail's pace - and a width of five across - blocking my dash to get a sandwich before my next meeting starts. Fathers will stand in front of me on the Starbucks line and bungle through a list of intricately customized beverages for their teenage kids who are already mortified to be seen on vacation with their parents, compounding the pressure this guy feels to get the drinks right. He will apologize to me several times as he steps back from the register to confirm details from his family claiming real estate and guardedly clutching their handbags and fanny packs in the seating section. People will stop dead in their tracks in the middle of any sidewalk or subway thoroughfare and look at a map or the top of a building as I nearly crash into them (like most New Yorkers, I read emails on my Blackberry while I walk). It will be harder than ever to find a taxi when I need one, and useless anyway since the whole city is a giant gridlock now.

All of this will make me want to scream at the top of my lungs, "Will all you people PLEASE go back to whatever bridge or tunnel brought you here and get off my island! Oh. And Merry Christmas."

So I had to laugh when this week's issue of Time Out New York arrived in our mailbox and I saw that it's dedicated to the tourist holiday season.

By the way, we both work in Advertising, so my husband I receive many magazines. TONY, Bon Ap and Food and Wine are the only subscriptions we actually pay for. If you haven't been dissuaded by the disdain in this email and you're coming to New York for a visit, pick up Time Out New York on the newsstand. It's a great mag to find some good, non-touristy things to do in town.

See TONY's collection of articles that explain why Tourists Heart Us.

My favorite piece in the issue included highlights from some recent TONY shenanigans. They sent out a TONYPD "cop" to ticket tourists for annoying out of town behavior. (See? This is what I'm talking about! I'm not the only one who can't stand these distractions.) In my opinion, the most deserved ticket went to the couple that was tagged for eating at The Red Lobster. Seriously. I never understand this. Why come to New York and eat in the same crappy chain restaurant that you have in your own Smalltown, USA? Stay home if all you want is a meal at Olive Garden.

Seeing as how my office is across the street from the Gershwin Theater and one of my Clients is down the block from Carnegie Hall, there is no way to avoid the onslaught of the next six weeks. I will try to endure it with as much grace as possible.

Do me a favor. If you're coming for a visit, walk single file and with purpose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG you guys get TONY? If you still happen to have the 11/21 issue, my AD is in there! It's for Zubrowka vodka - it would be so cool if someone I know can actually see the darn ad! We're doing a phased roll-out (only NY & Chicago for now) and with a limited budget this was the only ad we bought in NY.

eschaer said...

I think you have captured the hearts and minds of every New Yorker!

I used to work at the Empire State Building where things were just as bad! Everybody is looking up when you can't see a damn thing when you are standing in front of the building!