Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Do we think he's running?

If you haven't already heard, New York's Mayor Bloomberg changed his party affiliation today. He has forsaken the Republicans, clearing the way for a Presidential run as an Independent. He certainly has the personal fortune to fund a campaign. Personally, I would love to see him cut through the crap on The Hill with the same disdain and chutzpah he's used to deal with NYC's bureaucracy.

As New Yorkers will understand, no matter how much money you have to burn on drivers, sometimes the subway is just faster. Bloomberg reportedly takes the subway to work every day - something he and I will have in common starting on Thursday!! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya know, I'm a commie liberal but even I can get behind a Bloomberg candidacy!

The guy DOES take the subway to work (I have friends who've run into him) and to other events in the city, like appearances in Brooklyn. He takes a whole $1 per year in salary from the city. He sits in the middle of a bullpen of cubicles (no status-conferring offices). He's equally offensive to the right and the left (LOL). Takes no crap from anyone. Isn't afraid to confront the unions when they are wrong and support them when they are right.

He knows how to run a business (successfully, unlike Shrub who couldn't find oil in Bahrain for heaven's sake!). And he knows how to balance a budget. He's clearly smart, and I honestly think he could do a good job of cleaning up the mess in DC! He doesn't seem to surround himself with yes men & women.

I could get excited about his candidacy, in a way neither Hillary nor Barak have gotten me!

JAV said...

Helen - I totally agree. You gotta love a guy who says, "No thanks. I'd rather not live in the Mayor's mansion. My apartment is much nicer."

I love that he simply is not beholden to anyone, so he just says what he thinks. And it doesn't leave him second guessing himself. How refreshing.

Anonymous said...

PLUS the fact that he won't have to take a red cent from any special interest groups - we may actually have an administration not beholden to the lobbyists! Imagine that!