Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Why is this day important?


It's an historic day. Today is the day Tony Blair hands his resignation letter to the Queen. Perhaps more importantly, this day also marks the occasion of my birth. I'm happy to be putting 35 behind me, and I plan to squeeze every drop out of 36.

While still in the thick of the recovery phase, I got so bored one day that I did a search to find out what other occurances coincide with my birthday. I found some ironic twists. Apparently Hellen Keller and I share the same birthday. Anyone who knows me is aware of how blind I am without my contact lenses (I once toured the Acuvue factory in Jacksonville, FL and they informed me my scrip is extremely rare. They hardly ever run it), and now I'm half deaf. Terry is thinking, if only I would occasionally adopt the mute thing, his life would be so much more serene. Ideally he could have a "mute button" for me which he would use for those times when I go into hyper organization mode.

Anyway, taking the coincidence further, I recently had occasion to look back at my high school senior yearbook and was reminded that I used a Helen Keller quote as my parting mantra. "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart." What a naive sap! I now know: forget the heart, the most important things can only be seen by an MRI with contrast.

Below are the other occasions this day marks. An odd collection. I plan to fully partake in Special Recreation for Disabled Day, aka, Joan Voltz Day. Upon hearing news of my surgery a friend offered to buy me a beer drinking helmut (thanks, WW). I may wear it all day.


  • Helen Keller's Birthday
  • Captain Kangaroo's Birthday
  • Sunglasses Day
  • Special Recreation for Disabled Day
  • National Orange Blossom Day
  • National Columnists Day
  • Decide to Be Married Day (are they kidding me with this one!?)
  • "Happy Birthday To You" Day
  • National HIV Testing Day
  • 16 comments:

    Vicki said...

    Happy Birthday Joan!!! I hope you have the best 36th B-day EVER - you deserve it. Eat lots of cake :)
    Vicki

    JAV said...

    Vick - You sound like Amber ;) (EVER)

    Thanks so much. Yes - cake, champagne, all manner of decadence will be employed.

    See you soon...

    xo

    jv

    Unknown said...

    Happy Birthday Joan! And happy "Happy Birthay to You Day" as well....

    In honor of your birthday I will provide you with the randomly generated George Bush quote of the day..

    "We can outcompete with anybody."
    - George W. Bush March 11, 2004 Bay Shore, New York.

    Ok..I can't resist..here is another..

    "It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers on it."
    - George W. Bush May 5, 2000 Reported by Reuters.

    Unknown said...

    The second most important things can be seen on the shelves at my favorite stop on my last trip to NYC: Shoegasm. You gotta go into THAT store...

    Happy Birthday Joan. And many more.
    Love Babs

    JAV said...

    Eric - those quotes are priceless. You can't make this stuff up.

    jv

    JAV said...

    Babs - Shoegasm has a branch around the corner from my haircutter, so I go in there at least once a month. LOVE that place. In fact, some of my purchases are multiple.

    jv

    Anonymous said...

    Happy birthday from one Cancer to another! You have a lot to celebrate this year!~

    Anonymous said...

    Happy Birthday, kid!

    JAV said...

    Thanks, Helen! And, PC, thanks for calling me kid ;)

    Andrea said...

    Happy Birthday!!!

    I hope you get lots of good presents.

    PlayFromTheTips said...

    Happy B-day, Joanie! As one who will follow you to 36 soon (found another gray hair today) I commiserate with the passing of your 30s midpoint. Helen Keller is certainly more appropriate than my yearbook quote source - Trio (yes, the obscure band who wrote "Da Da Da" (used in the Volkswagon commercials.) See you in August! Bill

    Anonymous said...

    Happy Birthday to one of the best friends a girl could have...Nik

    JAV said...

    Thanks, Andrea!!

    JAV said...

    Billy! Listen, it might be gray - but it's hair. Hope you have fun stuff planned for your b-day. Can't wait to see you.

    JAV said...

    Hey, Nik! Right back atchya! Loved the pix of Zoe and Ava on RelaxedAlert...

    xxxooo

    Carmen said...

    Hope the rest of your birthday is great Joan. C.