Thursday, June 21, 2007

It's a living

I'm back at work. It's a little jarring, frankly, and now I'm home feeling a tad shell-shocked at the end of a long day. But I'm happy to see some semblance of normalcy gathering on the horizon (or are those storm clouds?)

The only disappointing thing today was the discovery that the entire staff at the Starbucks downstairs has turned over. I now have to retrain a completely new crew to have my grande latte ready by the time I get to the front of the line. Do you know how long it takes to do that? A very long time. There are always new folks folding in to the mix, but once you get that machine up and running, the new folks catch on quick. Now I have to start from square one.

Speaking of catching on, it seems an appropriate time to share some of the things I learned during my three month hibernation:
  1. Brain tumors really suck. Truly.
  2. People are compassionate by nature.
  3. The Stick Up Bulb is awesome.
  4. My cleaning lady is an ambitious entrepreneur, a Jehovah's Witness and does not particularly like my building Super.
  5. I have chosen friends really, really well.
  6. My husband will never divorce me, and he responds to tough situations with humor and patience.
  7. The pull out bed in my living room couch is exceptionally comfortable.
  8. If I had all the free time in the world, I would not re-read all the Shakespeare plays. I would read TMZ.
  9. My health is more fragile than I realized, and it's completely worth guarding with diligence.
  10. The ladies on The View are surprisingly knowledgeable.
  11. Dr. Phil is surprisingly entertaining.
  12. The hallway carpets in my building get vacuumed twice a week and the mail gets delivered at 3:00 ish.
  13. There is an invisible population of handicapped and sick people in Manhattan that only comes out during the day when the rest of us are at work. Some of them are compromised not for three months, but for years and maybe for the rest of their life. They deserve respect for their perseverance and courage.
  14. White paint comes in a dizzying array of shades.
  15. The skin around my eyes doesn't sag because I don't get enough sleep - it sags because I'm getting old.
  16. I am gutsier than I thought.
  17. It's never too late to write a thank you note.
  18. My metabolism is not super-human after all. After sitting on the couch for three months, guess what? My clothes no longer fit.

I'm sure the next three months will bring a whole new set of insights. The one I'm really interested in figuring out: how can I get Google to give me a million dollars for this blog?

3 comments:

Carmen said...

Hey Joan, Way to go on your first day back. Too bad about the retraining of the Starbuck staff. I hope that doesn't take too long!
Response to the following that I agree with: #1, 2, 5, 9, 15. As far as my mailman, he is pretty inconsistant. Take Care! Carmen

Anonymous said...

joan you are the best...Nikki

Anonymous said...

Well, we COULD start an email campaign to Redbook or Ladies Home Journal to get them to link to your blog! Hell, now that you are back at work, ask your media folk to ask their reps who on the editorial side you should contact! And if you don't want to contact them directly, get names/email addresses and *I* will contact them saying that this has become "must read" for me and I only know you through Terry!!!

I think it would be pretty cool, coz then I could tell everyone I know that you HAVE to read this blog....hmmm...think I'll go post a bulletin on my MySpace page....