Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Looks can be deceiving

A good friend sent me an amaryllis bulb that arrived shortly after I came home from the hospital. It came looking like a box of dirt, and the thought behind it was beautiful: a stunning flower will grow as I heal.

It just started blooming yesterday, and here is what it looks like today:





Doesn't this peaceful window scene look as though my apartment may be one of the most serene places in New York? Do you sense the zen-like atmosphere of my haven in upper Manhattan?

What you don't "see" in the picture:

  1. There is construction happening on the street below my window. I can not see the equipment being used, but I know it's big and it sounds as though they are using it to bore a hole in Manhattan bedrock - perhaps to reach China. It's been a steady two-tons-of-metal on rock banging noise for about one hour. Occasionally the banging is punctuated with the high-pitched beeping noise of construction vehicles backing up. Mmm. Soothing.
  2. One of our building Porters (probably Oswald, whom I adore), is vacuuming the hallway right outside my apartment with an industrial sized piece of equipment. Aaahhh. Lulling me into a deeper meditative state.
  3. When the construction banging started, I muted the TV. I had not even noticed it was still on as I have been sitting here with my hand over my good ear trying to block out at least some of the noise and going through email, paying doctors' bills, etc. Did you know that when there is a test of the emergency broadcast system they override the mute on your TV with a screeching noise much like the sound of a fax machine or the old school phone dial up internet connection? I never knew until three minutes ago, but now I know how calming it is to be assured that in the event of an actual emergency, I would be fully informed. Close to nirvana.
There is a virtual sound assault going on in apartment 68. I have to stop writing so I can go check my ears for blood.

2 comments:

Fi100 said...

So long as there weren't any damned spiders hidden in that bulb!

JAV said...

Ha! Fi - could you believe that story?

The amaryllis bloomed two more glorious flowers since this picture was taken. Spectacular.

Also - got the other Berocca shipment. Thank you ;)