Monday, May 21, 2007

How proud are we?

Another milestone: I attended a large stadium event yesterday. I won't lie, it was uncomfortable and I only heard about a quarter of the speeches, but I would not have missed it.

My sister in law (and fellow brain surgery survivor), Clementina, received her Masters of Special Education from Hofstra University yesterday. She graduated "With Distinction" having received at least an A in every single course except two. In those two "sub-par" performances she garnered a B+. She used to be an analyst at Solomon Smith Barney (later Legg Mason) and worked almost the entire time she was earning her degree. Her professor/mentor and the Dean of the school have each told Clem they would like to see her continue on with a Doctorate degree. They know talent when they see it, and Clementina is all that.

Speaking of talent, the commencement speakers were Sen. Chuck Schummer and Ken Chenault (Chairman and CEO of American Express) and of what I could hear, both were amazingly inspirational.

As for me, happy to have have had a reason to put on a dress (with flats, of course) and make it to a "real" public event. But it was not a piece of cake. Navigating my way through a crowd required an unbelievable amount of concentration as did discerning the words of the speeches amidst the overwhelmingly loud sounds around me. It wore me out. I think this last stage of recovery will be hastened by putting myself in these kind of situations as well as everyday things like dinner out, movies and the subway (dreading this one). I need to build up stamina and (hopefully!) get to a point where I require less intent focus on things that should be second nature. Getting there - bit by bit.

In debt and ready to teach, Clementina with my brother (her husband):


The graduate and her proud parents:

No comments: