Friday, May 4, 2007

Lids and loyalty


Some of you may know, there was a big foofarah over the fact that Tom Brady was seen strolling yesterday hand in hand with girlfriend Giselle Bundchen while wearing a Yankees baseball hat. This is a big no no for the QB of the New England Patriots. Fans are passionate about the Boston-New York rivalry, and this brew-ha-ha had interesting timing with a recent Traynor event.

My brother, Brendan, is a Yankees fan. All his friends from college are Boston fans. When these teams go head to head, it's all night calls and text messages between them all. The ribbing doesn't end.

Last Saturday my brothers' high-school friend, JP, called my brother to say he was going to that night's Boston/Yankees game in the Bronx. Brendan joked around and told JP to make a sign for him.

Shortly after the game started, Brendan called me cracking up and tells me to put on the game. Sure enough, there is JP - in the second row right behind and to the right of home plate holding a cardboard sign saying "I [heart] Pie [the mathematical sign] Traynor." Pie is my brother's nick name. Obviously, the college crew from Boston all got calls as well.

JP was on camera every time they showed someone at bat - and he held up that sign for every single play. Hilarious.

As for Tom, I think folks should worry less about his hat and more about the fact that another woman is about to have his baby (ex girlfriend Bridget Moynahan is due at the end of the summer). How's that for loyalty?

6 comments:

eschaer said...

Very funny Joan!

I am sure you already know, but "Pie" Traynor was a Hall of Fame baseball player that played for the Pirates in the 20s and 30s (and conincidentally happened to be born in Framingham, MA). He apparently, got his nickname b/c of his fondness for ummmm....pie.

JAV said...

Yep - that player is the origin of my brother's nick name.

When I first met Terry (a serious baseball fan who even keeps scorecards by hand at the games) he asked me if I knew there was a baseball player with my same name. I quoted all those details you noted, and Terry was so happy. He thought he had found a girl who shared his love of baseball. He didn't realize that is literally the ONLY thing I know about the game until it was too late. What can I say - I'm a football fan. Baseball is not the type of diamond I prefer.

Anonymous said...

Very good point Joan,

I have been amazed at how upset people are getting over the hat thing yet don't think twice about him leaving his pregnant girlfriend. There just seems to be something wrong with this picture.

JAV said...

Could not agree more, anonymous 9:53

Anonymous said...

I Agree 9:53

Our society morals are whacked.

Anonymous said...

...ok sure 9:53 (and supporters) but does have to flaunt his infidelity (to girl and team) in so many ways?