Thursday, May 31, 2007

Huh?

Yesterday's outing was a mani/pedi at the cheapo place in the hood. I didn't go with my usual indulgence at Sava because I know I will be getting another one next week with some friends. Why pay extra for quality when I will be indulging again before I need another round?

Anyway, because this is the cheapo place, it's not as quiet as my usual zen-like cappuccino-serving sanctuary. This is an air-conditioning unit above the door kind of place. The loudness induced one of those, "Oh, right. I'm kind of deaf" moments.

I used to find myself in a situation that I thought was common, but now that I understand I've been slightly hearing impaired for a while, I'm not so sure. You know when you ask someone to repeat themselves and you still don't understand? Typically I ask one more time. After that it's just embarrassing, so I act like I know what was said and offer some vague and non-committal gesture. I'm sure I've unwittingly put myself in some Seinfeldian puffy-shirt situations.

So here I am in the cheapo salon, and the pedicurist is saying something to me. But with all that ambient noise, damn if I could hear her. I saw the lips moving - but literally heard no sound. And she kept looking away during her sentence to check the (noisy) swirling water at the base of the pedi chair. Here was the problem. She was clearly asking me a question, and was awaiting an answer. No answer - no pedi. I asked her to repeat herself no less than five times. I kid you not. I kept moving my good ear closer and closer to her until she probably thought I was going to sit on her lap.

Aaaghh! I'm going to have to get better at this. I see a lip reading course in my future. In the meantime, don't be surprised if I'm wearing a pirate shirt the next time you see me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

honey, who needs ambient air conditioning noise when you've got a left ear like mine that constantly provides a white-noise-like hum? who did you say your ENT was again?? and for the love of all that is holy: when can i come visit you with a box full of rugelach?!?!?!!
xox Schmoozie (aka Denise)

Anonymous said...

It took me a while, but now I just say "I can't hear you!" or "I'm deaf!" or whatever the situation warrants. I'll tell people that I can't hear them if they're not looking at me while they talk. Or whatever, I tell kids at school "I need you to TALK LOUD!" Having said that, I do live in fear that one day I will nod and smile at something someone says that I couldn't hear and immediately find myself skydiving out of a plane or robbing a bank.

JAV said...

Thanks for the advice, PC. I know it will get easier. If you rob a bank, I'll testify on your behalf at your trial.

JAV said...

Denise!!! I am so sorry I haven't been in touch! I would love to see you. I'll get in touch the old fashioned way. In the meantime, I love my ear doc - he's an otologyst. His name is Dr. John Roland and he is affiliated with NYU Medical Center. Here's his profile (old picture):
http://www.med.nyu.edu/people/J.Roland.html