Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Heady issues

I have learned that the term "headache" is too general to be meaningful. It's like only having the word "food" to adequately describe everything you ate yesterday.

For the past week and a half I have experienced a whole new kind of headache. Allow me to enlighten. This is not your normal general kind of ache that many of us get after a long day (or a long night). I have shooting pains in my actual skull. The bone. The head wrapper, if you will. It's quite an unsettling experience.

I have a feeling it's happening because I'm moving my head around a wider radius these days. So the muscles in my neck and around my head are probably moving and stretching over the healing bone, which must still be tender. This sounds logical to me. (I'm right back to my old ways: self diagnosis has long been a gift of mine.)

The question I have: will this always be a problem? The bone will never fuse back together, after all. It now has a titanium frame around it and is screwed into my skull. Is it just tender because it's healing or is it actually shifting around slightly in response to movement around it? No matter how much time passes, wouldn't it always hurt to have your skull shifting around like a lopsided tomato crate?

And my scar has started peeling again. What's up with that?

Wah, wah, wah...


Update: during a conversation with a good friend, I had an a-ha moment. Very Dr. House like. Perhaps the increase in pain is because the nerves are starting to regenerate and places that were dead are now hurting. Anyway - it's very odd being aware of your skull as a distinct body part.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joan -

It is so nice to see your comments on Carmen's blog! You have been so encouraging and a great inspiration to Carmen and us all. May you have continued success in your own recovery.

Thoughtfully,
Kevin. :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Joan,

That sucks! What's with the unadvertised after-effects? That is most unwelcome, way uncool. Do you have an open line of communication to your doctors to help explain or process stuff like this as it comes up, or, as I suspect is often the case with surgeons, are they inlcined to declare success after 48 hours and move on to the next crisis commanding their attention? How much is long-suffering brain surgery survivor supposed to endure? Not fair. Not that that's news to us, but still.

Hoping you feel MUCH better soon!

Love,

--Ali

JAV said...

Kevin -

Thanks for posting! I'm thinking of you today and so happy that Carmen seems to be doing perfectly. And I'm glad you don't find it creepy that I've been watching the blog so closely. I know we're technically strangers after all, but I'm finding it reassuring to find other people going through the same thing.

Continued good luck - I'll keep checking for updates.

JAV said...

Hey, Ali! Great to chat. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Just one of those days :(

Anonymous said...

Like you I'm the queen of self-diagnoses. I would think that what you are experiencing is the nerves, muscles, etc. going someplace (over something) they haven't done before, and that they will build up a toughening or something over time. I can't imagine that it will continue! I remember reading somewhere that there ARE no nerves in bone, so the pain isn't actually the bone but everything around it.

And the theory about nerves regenerating also makes sense!

Hang in there - I suspect this is actually a GOOD thing in terms of recovery!

JAV said...

Thanks, Helen! I'm with you - I do believe it's a good thing. And it's not unbearable by any means. Sometimes I just like to complain - ask Terry ;)