Monday, October 29, 2007

A Giant week

This past week was a banner one for me as a lifelong lover of Big Blue.

Some of you already know that I am a huge Giants fan. The oftentimes frustrating, sometimes exhilarating preoccupation was instilled in me from an early age by my father. My dad grew up going to the games in the Polo Grounds in Northern Manhattan with his buddies. I grew up going to the Meadowlands with him.

When the Meadowlands was built my Dad and a group of his friends became season ticket holders. They secured a block in section 112 – row 22. Pretty good seats, I must say. Sometimes we’d pick up a pair of seats from one of the group that couldn’t make a particular game and our whole family would go. We’d drive through the city on the way home and eat dinner at Gallagher’s Steak House. A truly perfect Sunday. But most of the time we had just two tickets. Absolutely no gender discrimination in our household, my brother and I alternated home games.

A stellar example of my father’s even-handedness on this particular matter was the methodology used to determine Traynor attendance of the 1986 Playoffs. It had been an amazing year for the Giants. We only had to win one game against San Fransisco to get to the National League Championship game. My brother and I were sat down for a conference in the living room and my father explained, “We only have two tickets to the 49ers game. I can bring one of you. Whoever goes is guaranteed to see a playoff game. If we win that game I will take the other of you to the next game. But there is no guarantee that will happen. You two think about it for a minute and tell me what you want to do.”

I didn’t have to think. There was no question in my mind the Giants were going all the way. I wanted to be at that Championship Game. Inconveniently, Brendan felt exactly the same way.

Ok, who wants to go to the San Fran game?”

Silence.

“No one?”

Silence.

“You both understand that passing this game up means you may not get to go to one at all?” We did. “Ok. We flip a coin.”

My brother was ok with this plan until I emerged victorious two minutes later. Cries of foul play flew through the air. My brother pointed out that as a member of our high school's football team, he should be given weighted advantage. I, afterall, had never even played a game in my life and never would. I was just a girl. This was not right.

I'm sure my father agreed with Brendan on many levels, but God love him, fair was fair and I went to that eventual Championship game. The Giants shut out the Redskins 17 - 0, and to this day, that game was the most thrilling event I have ever attended in my life (ok, maybe a close second to my wedding). It should be noted for context, I went to the Super Bowl in 1998 down in Miami. No where near as exciting. There were no fans in the stands. Just corporate sponsors. Not so back at that Redskins game where the entire stadium was packed with season ticket holders. The wave went around the stadium continuously for the entire three hours. Strangers high-fived. Face painters cried. No one cared that their feet were frostbitten and they would have to sit in traffic for three hours to get out of the parking lot. (By the way, this amazing team went on to beat the Broncos 39-20 a couple of weeks later in Super Bowl XXI).

My brother and I are very close. But to this day, when that game gets brought up, Brendan repeats his true belief, "That wasn't right."

Fast forward to the 2007 season. I admit, I started out with a faint heart. We had lost Tikki, and there was no reason to believe our shortcomings from last year would not continue to haunt us: an inconsistent quarterback not living up to his last name, a Coach known for harsh discipline overseeing one of the most penalized teams in the league and a cast of larger than life personalities who seem to air their disagreements in the media instead of the locker room.

I am now filled with remorse for my lack of faith. I know it's dangerous to get optimistic - this is just about the point in the season when we imploded last year. But I'm feeling good. We've won six in a row and we're just back from London where we were treated like rock stars. We're headed into a bye week after which we play Dallas, the only team in front of us in the NFC. A sign of changing times, Jeremy Shockey, freshly shorn, is even starting to look like a grown up.

For me personally, this past week in particular was indeed a Giant week in every sense of the word. I went to last week's game against San Fran and got on the jumbotron. First time ever and so exciting! I was on the big screen coming back from the commercial break with about 7:23 left in the third quarter. If you watched the game on TV, I was the one in the white hooded sweater screaming, "Go Giants!"

Then last Tuesday I had one of the coolest experiences I've had in a long time (and remember, I was hooked up to a morphine drip for two days this past March). I participated in a corporate boondoggle in which I got to go hang out with a small group of fellow corporate geeks at the Meadowlands and play a game of touch football (I observed) and eat dinner with a bunch of former Giants players. Old school guys - some of whom were playing during that famous 86 season. How cool is that!? These guys were so much fun. They were hilariously funny and easy going and having free reign at Giants Stadium was a thrill. Here are some pictures.





Touchdown!




Doesn't seem like it would be so hard to get the ball through here...




On the 50




Dee Hardison warming up for the game.






Just hangin on the side lines with my buddies Scott Brunner, Howard Cross and Dee Hardison.





On the jumbotron - second time in less than a week!




I had the most hilarious conversation with Chris Calloway who casually dropped some tid bit about something he had seen on The View that day. I looked at him and said, "You watch The View?" He kind of shrugged his shoulders and said yes he did. I asked him what he thought of the Rosie controversy. Well, he went on a 10 minute critical overview of hosts and which ones were his favorites. He was going back to Star Jones days. This guy is a fan. Whoopie is ok by him, by the way. And in case anyone was wondering, Chris reports Elizabeth has left to go have her baby in Arizona.


Howard Cross was by far the biggest character there. Totally hilarious. This is the face he made at me after another corporate geek had just told him he had so much fun playing in the game with him and how it was the most exercise he had gotten in years because he's under doctor's orders not to exercise. Cross told him to stop talking. (That's Eric Dorsey in the background)




Me and Scott Brunner, Howard Cross and Stephen Baker



Me and Scott Brunner, Dee Hardison and Karl Nelson.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I can totally understand how you feel. Although we have different sports, I feel the same about the Mets as you do about the Giants.

JAV said...

Helen - it was so great. I had so much fun. You must miss your Mets being so far away. I can feel your void. So sorry.

Anonymous said...

your father would have been so proud...congrats..Nik

JAV said...

Nik - my father would have gotten such a kick out of this! Sorry you won't be home for Turkey Day...
xo