Friday, March 16, 2007

God works in mysterious ways


Ok. Joan here. Can I just say, it's now obvious God had a plan for me.

If you take a closer look at that skull I'm holding on the home page, you'll see the learnings of the phrenology study undertaken by the wise Lorenzo Niles Fowler and his brother Orson in the mid 1800's. In Lorenzo's words, "For thirty yearsback, I have studied Crania and living heads from all parts of the world and have found in every instance that there is a perfect correspondence [sic] between the conformation of the healthy skull of an individual and his known characteristics."

So it turns out, the part of my brain that will be most disturbed during my surgery is the exact portion responsible for "Domestic Propensities". Is it any wonder that I married a man who loves me despite the fact that I have cooked exactly two meals over the past ten years? (For those keeping track: Guinness based chilli for the 1997 Super Bowl and an extra tray of lasagne made for the pot-luck holiday celebration with my Economist team in December of 2006).

I don't do laundry either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very special, and specialized, blog!

Just tried calling you all to wish Joan the best but didn't get through, you notorious Manhattan call-screeners, you.

Will be traveling most of next week, but Joanie, you'll be on my mind. (That's a brain surgery pun, a Dylan paraphrase, and a true sentiment...)

Look forward to talking witcha when you're on the mend.

I'm not anonymous. I'm you're Brussels well-wisher.

Dani Westfall said...

This blog is fantastic. Greg and I just poured through it. I'd expect nothing less from the two of you. Will "Simple Minds" greatest hits be playing in the background during surgery? Pun intended. I'm sure you've heard them all at this point. We are all thinking of you with love and look forward to these blog updates!

TGV said...

All that "no cooking" stuff changes soon. I have paid a significant extra fee for the surgeon to implant a cooking chip in Joan's cerebellum. Complete with remote control (channels = cuisines; Channel 1 = Italian, Channel 2 = Thai, etc.).