Monday, March 26, 2007

My Sojourn at NYU: A Week of Highs and Lows

So I had quite a week. One for the books. The theme I am consistently experiencing is an extreme sense of alternating victory and defeat. All in all, the highs are outweighing the lows. Here are some highlights:

High Point

Low Point

Being told they are going to suck fat out of my stomach to “caulk” the holes in my head (and protect against a troublesome condition called Cerebro-Spinal Fluid leak). Bonus: free liposuction!

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Neurosurgeons don’t care if your abdomen is asymmetrical; they just want your brain to be ok. So much for lipo – it came out more like a little fat cantilever.

Being told I was well enough to move out of ICU.

Being wheeled to a tiny-tiny room and being introduced to possibly the most insufferable (not to mention racist) roommate on the face of the planet. I am not kidding –the nurses, residents and doctors all cheered when she got sent home (without indicating any disrespect).


A thrilling brush with celebrity: I was awakened to a big commotion in the hallway on my first night out of ICU. From what I could eavesdrop, some famous baseball player had been brought in with trauma to the head. He didn’t know what year it was. There had been a crash at home plate. It would have been eight runs, but instead it was only seven. People were demanding to know why there wasn’t a private room available to this man. An open investigation was being called for. He was moved into the room next to mine. This was going to be big, and I was going to have a great neuro-surgery celebrity brush with fame.


Realizing the next morning that I’m on the neuro-ward. There are a lot of crazies around (including me, especially considering the drugs I was on). And I can only hear out of one ear. It's possible that my eavesdropping skills may have been hindered. I am told the guy in the room next to me is apparently 53 years old. Not old, but probably not on the Yankees' starting line-up. Also, I later was told it's not even baseball season yet. I thought it was!?

Private duty nurses. Worth every cent. (Favorite quote: “Do you want me to give you a bath, honey? You poor thing, you look like we just scooped you up off First Avenue.”)


No low points. ALL the nurses on the neuro floor were absolutely amazing. Truly super-human. (Additional private duty was not necessary, but a luxurious extra – and the overworked floor nurses love it too.)

Witnessing a new sign of recovery every day.

Watching the bruises bloom on my body minute by minute. It is hard to believe I was simply lying on a table for four or five hours instead of beaten with a bag of stones and dropped off a rocky cliff. Don’t those surgeons know I like to be coddled!?


Making it to my mid-thirties with no medical emergencies whatsoever. Then in one quick week, going from neophyte to expert: a life-long trump card at cocktail parties: “Well, that reminds me of that time I had a brain tumor removed…”


I don’t care how much of an instant expert I am, waking up with five IVs was a valid cause for consternation for the life-long needle-phobe.

Being told I could go home. The stabbing pains and noises inside my head are normal. I shouldn’t be concerned.


Being told I had to go home. NOW WHAT!?



The one undeniable high: my amazing family and friends. Thanks for everything. I know I still have a long road ahead, but it won't be long before I can talk on the phone, and soon enough I'll actually be able to see you guys. In the meantime, email and blogging has proven a great way to stay in touch. Thanks for all your messages - I LOVE them, and they're keeping me going.

And don't worry - I'm staying on top of the Anna Nicole Smith case. I'm sure you've heard by now: accidental drug overdose.

xo

jv







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god that roommate sounds unbearable, esp. at a time when pretty much all sound must be irritating! Thanks so much for laying out the highs and lows like that; it really helps me get an inkling of what this experience has been like. Bask in the victories! Wallow in the defeats! Feel better at whatever pace comes naturally (and don't worry when you feel temporarily worse), and tell people to pipe down whenever you damn well please! I certainly hope there are no large parades roaring over those Hudson Heights hills any time soon. If you need me to look into getting a variance from the city, just say the word. I'm getting pretty adept at this whole bureaucracy thing.

Love,

--Ali

Anonymous said...

JV,

Sounds like a bit of an ordeal (imagine that!).

I wouldn't worry too much about the asymmetry, I was born that way: my left side is 85% arse and my right side is predominantly senseless tomfoolery.

As is well documented, my lower extension is 100% James Brown & Elvis(post-mortem unfortunately).

Glad to see you're in good spirits.

SJS

JAV said...

SJS!!!! I can't tell if it's the Percocet percolatiing or just that Sibulkin-Elvis image - but that cracked me up! Thanks for all your comments - I can't wait to catch up. As you can see, I'm still clueless on baseball.....

xo
jv

Unknown said...

Another good thing is that now you can invoke the classic smack down with genuine authority: "Hey come on people this ain't brain surgery!"