Friday, March 30, 2007

Untethered

I went back to the hospital today for my post-surgical consult visit. It was very strange walking back into that place. I admit - I sort of felt like there should be a VIP entrance for brain surgery alums. Special parking? Velvet ropes? Volunteers telling me how much I rock? A small marching band - or at least a wind quartet? Come on, people! Work with me here,- I just had my head drilled open for #$%@'s sake!

Anyway - the sutures are out of both my head and abdomen. So that's good news. I also had a very interesting conversation with the Doc about the state of my hearing. It turns out there is a much more optimistic way to refer to being half deaf: single-sided hearing. How glass-half-full.

Apparently there is a bone-anchored hearing device that I will need to begin researching now that hearing loss is a reality. I had begun talking to some of you about that before - it will provide unending amusement for peripheral accessory possibilities. If I pursue it, I would literally have a snap embedded in my head onto which I can attach my own blue-tooth enabled hearing device to toss sound to my "good ear". I kid you not. Apparently, I could use my nano with no wires directly into my head. My friend Steve had long ago inquired whether I would be XM Satellite enabled, and I'm looking into this. I'm thinking this could lead to good party tricks (also, I would never again be mistaken about when baseball season starts).

I had a suture-free lunch at a restaurant across the street from the hospital (first public meal). I went in my pajamas - it was dark. They didn't care.

xo

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Joan, what an amazing diary you have written. You are an incredibly positive person, and I am glad to see brain surgery has not changed your personality! BTW, this is my first blogging experience (true to my digital research)! I wanted to let you know one of my close (Lehigh) friends has been deaf in one ear since childhood (I think from measles or mumps) and has lived more of life than I. Please let me know if you would like to talk with her. Sending you lots of love, Robin

Anonymous said...

So the same girl who went to the operating room with a Black Satin mani/pedi went to a restaurant in her PJs! It's amazing how surgery can change one's perspective on what's important...good for you!

Oh, and Bill Bonomo tried 3 times to write you a comment and they got deleted each time before he could post them. Frankly, as our creative director, I think we should be concerned about his lack of blogging know-how. But he sends his very best! ;)

~Jessica

JAV said...

Jess! So good to see your post!

Sorry to hear Bill is so digitally challenged. I have long been concerned about him ;)

To be fair, the PJs were pretty stylin.

xo

JAV said...

Hey, Robin! I have been thinking of last summer's research the whole time I've been doing this. How funny! Well, it's been a fun experience. I may take you up on the intro to your friend at some point. In the meantime, enjoy this amazing weekend, and I'll talk to you very soon...

xo
jv

gggma said...

Hi Joan...I'm here with Matt Durawa...we're delighted to hear that you're suture-free and considering this new fangled technology!

He's asked me to pose a few questions as you consider getting 'the snap'...(1) could your fancy meatpacking hairdresser work your 'do around the snap? (2) is there a chance that the snap could be a hazard...say you're walking through a crowded room and the snap on your head attaches to the snap on s/one's jacket? (3) could your blackberry automatically synch with your brain?

Just a few things to note as you do your research.

We miss you and look forward to your return!

JAV said...

Durawa, Gina! Hope you guys are headed to Scruffy's soon. Hoist one for me.

Yes - there are many snap questions. The BB synching is one I hadn't considered. Also - you know when you're talking on speaker phone and someone's BB makes that interference noise? Will my voice start to sound that way momentarily in the middle of sentences as arrows flash back and forth in my pupils? Hmmmm......

Anonymous said...

The patient awakened after the operation to find herself in a room with all the blinds drawn.

"Why are all the blinds closed?" she asked her doctor.

"Well," the surgeon responded, "They're fighting a huge fire across the street, and we didn't want you to wake up and think the operation had failed."

Anonymous said...

Joan - You are too much!

Now remember, as a social worker, I embrace diversity. So, I still love you, single-sided hearing and all! ;)

wannabe said...

Joan, I've seen people w/ the snap before and often wondered what it was...now I know! I wonder if you can get a variety pack a la Swatch Watches, so you can change them to match your outfits? Now that would be stylin'!

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to stop reading your site. All the laughing is making my boob hurt.

LMG

Anonymous said...

Robo-Joan,

Why oh why do you have all of the good luck. Blue tooth? Snap on widgets? X-ray vision (fun at the beach, but won't go through lead)?

You are one of the X-men for heaven's sake. Black Satin, brainypath.

You are lucky, lucky, lucky.

Steve

Anonymous said...

Look to the future Joan - consider that audio books might one day be downloadable via the snap - download books while you sleep! Also consider an HDMI hook up for the eventual video upgrade - think 'Matrix'. MJEE in Millington