Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Five Week Status Report

The Five Week Status Report would look a lot like the Four Week Status Report. Instead of more boring details about exactly how many city blocks I can walk now, I thought I'd use this week's post to provide more boring details about this whole single sided hearing/single sided deafness business (I've seen it referred to both ways - but SSD seems more common. The glass half full/half empty debate rages on). A lot of you have expressed curiosity, so here's what I know so far.

As it turns out, SSD is not really that uncommon. In fact, many of you have already told me about other people you know personally who are deaf on one side. In the US, about 60,000 people per year become afflicted. It can have many causes such as viral infections, Meniere’s disease, trauma, measles, chicken pox or, as in my case, through surgical intervention.

The reality of being deaf on one side is very different from what I imagined it would be. I thought I would still hear everything, but maybe just a little lower on the old volume. The issues are a bit more complex.

First of all, there is a range of sound that occurs on my right side that I simply can't hear due to a phenomenon called the "head shadow effect." A creepy name. A friend articulated it better: "Oh, it's like an eclipse." Exactly. My head has become an object that literally blocks certain sound waves that originate on my deaf side from ever being perceived by my hearing side. Surgery has made me more obtuse than ever.

Secondly, the world has become a giant ventriloquist act to me. I have a lot of trouble determining the location from which a noise originates. If someone drops a book across the room on my right, I may reflexively turn to my left. I've become like a crazy person who constantly cocks their head to imagined noises saying, "Did you hear that?!" I keep thinking birds chirping outside my window are mice inside the apartment. Crazy person.

I also have a lot of trouble with multiple noise input. First of all, it just makes my head pound. I think that's a short term issue. But the likely long term effect is that I can't "prioritize." So if the TV is on and someone is speaking to me at the same time, I can't hear what they're saying. I am not able to prioritize the noise that I want to hear from another noise that I want to tune out. Conversations in a restaurant, for example, would be very difficult. Giant cacophony. (cute name for a cafe. no?) Note to those with knowledge of broadcast production: think of it as a completely fokakta mix with zero ability for adjustment.

According to all the depressing literature, people with SSD can experience issues with things like "crossing the street, bicycling or driving a car and may also have problems in group situations like business meetings, restaurants or cocktail parties." So as long as I always cross with the light and am satisfied with drinking alone, I'll be fine. In other words, my life won't change ;)

Time will tell how I cope with these issues and how debilitating they are in my particular case. If it seems advantageous, there are some remedies available to me thanks to modern technology. This is where that snap comes in. As mentioned in some previous posts, there is a device called a Baha that could be placed on my deaf side behind the ear via a snap implanted in the skull. It transfers sound through bone conduction, stimulating the cochlea in the normal hearing ear. Click this link to see an animated diagram that helps visualize this phenomenon:

http://www.entific.com/directBoneConduction.asp

(A quick side note. This diagram helps clear up another point a lot of people have found confusing. When you look at this, it's a little easier to understand why they had to cut through two bones to remove my tumor. This diagram is a cross section from the rear perspective. Those are the backs of someone's ears. First they cut a flap in the back of my skull, which is not shown in the picture. Then they moved my brain stem over revealing the skull base in the middle of my head. Then they sawed into that skull base to get inside the canal that houses my auditory nerve. My tumor had already bulbed out into my cranium, but they had to remove it from the source so as not to trash all the other nerves that run through that canal.)

The Baha device itself is wireless and apparently they are working on an updated model that would be Bluetooth enabled. I am 100% not kidding - I'd be able to pipe in my ipod or the TV directly to my head. I'm looking into whether I'd be able to host conference calls.

So let's just get to the source of all the curiosity. The snap. I mean, would I really have a snap on my head!? It sounds like a science fiction novel. Well, seeing is believing. Are you ready for a picture of the snap? I don't know if you're ready. I don't know if any of us could ever be ready, but here it is:



I will be hosting a Bluetooth enabled conference call in the future. The topic: Peripheral Snap Accessory Brainstorm Session/Things That Would Be Useful to Have Snapped To My Head. You'll all be invited and I'll send call in details. In the meantime, here are some thought starters:

  • A cupholder
  • A GPS system
  • An Amex Xpress Pay - I can just swipe my head for payment
  • A wrap around rear view mirror
  • A head dust ruffle (would require another snap on my hearing side, but could add flair to drab outfits)
  • A badge/ID holder - similar to Amex Xpress pay, head swipe for entry
  • A bottle opener
I'm also going to look into whether I can use this for future face lifts. I could just have the bags under my eyes snapped back.

Other thoughts welcome.

9 comments:

Vicki said...

Joan
You are doing incredible. Staying so positive when you have to be frustrated by such a Slow and long recovery. You definitely can see the light at the end.. Hopefully you will get back to where you want to be soon.. Still my hero!!
Vicki

Unknown said...

Agreed! You are amazing!!

I think the Baja is an awesome idea!! Perahaps you can get a hyper-senstive model put in to give you superhearing like the Bionic Woman or Superman. (I didn't realize that Superman actually had super-hearing, but this fact was recently confirmed to me...what can't that guy do!).

Then you can go out and fight injustice! Or just eavesdrop on other people's conversations for good gossip...either one...

JAV said...

Eric -

Fighting injustice sounds boring. Perhaps we can figure out a way that bionic hearing could help eradicate fashion faux pas. Oh wait - I got it!

Perhaps I could partner with TLC's Stacy London (You might know her from What Not to Wear). She's coming out with a new show called "Shut Up! It's Stacy London". Couldn't a show called Shut Up! use someone with bionic hearing? And look at this description below. I should be on this show super hearing power or not. I'm just saying.

Shut Up! It’s Stacy London is an "as-live" hour long Friday night chat show. Like Stacy, it’s sassy, stylish, inspirational, cool and a little bit naughty. It is the perfect Friday night cocktail!

Stacy's talk show includes celebrity chat and gossip, real involvement and fun with a studio audience and a big dash of fashion! From audience interaction, where Stacy pulls out actual clothes and calls out embarrassed owners, to chatting with celebs about their lives through fashion, Stacy is the newest diva in the talk world.

Shut Up! It’s Stacy London is a witty, cheeky chat show with all the right attitude with a twist.

JAV said...

Vicki -

Thanks for the cheering on. I'm getting there!

jv

Unknown said...

Joan,

I think that sounds perfect for you. And you will still be using your powers for good!!

Iris and I used to watch What Not to Wear often..although not as much lately. I never really thought of Stacy as particulary "inspirational" or "naughty", but I think she is pretty good at what she does!

Anonymous said...

I have to say that reading your updates crack me up. Taylor keeps coming in and asking what I am laughing about.

I hope you are feeling better - good to know that your sense of humor hasn't been lost in all this.

Let me know when I can come up for a visit - without the girls of course - too much noise for all of us!!!!!

HBG

Anonymous said...

Ya know, there's a market for that snap! I have the hardest freakin' time getting my blue tooth to stay over my ear (my ear LOOKS normally shaped, but who knows?). Snap your bluetooth on and make your calls. Maybe you could offer a range of different snap-on accessories: A single bluetooth, a conference-call version, one of those pens on a retracting line so you'll always have a pen handy....or add a snap on the other side and one in the middle and you can change hairpieces easily....

Anonymous said...

JAV,

My 10th anniversary is coming up and I think a bejeweled snap and bluetooth enablement is a perfect gift. Why? First, it doens't look half bad Second, my wife can then watch Desparate Housewives and I can in parallel watch Monday Night Football with no ostensible verbal communication or TV volument. It will really throw the kids for loops (serves them right for using the walls as a crayon canvas).

SJS

JAV said...

SJS -

That sounds like a gift for SJS. Like when I bought Terry a particular All Clad pot he wanted for one of our anniversaries. I'm a romantic. What can I say?

JAV