Sunday, April 15, 2007

Speaking of Don and "hos"

I'm not going to comment on Imus. (OK. I'll comment. I don't think it's a free speech issue. The market has determined the right outcome in my opinion. That's all I'll say about that.)


Ironically, in a week that ended with every single Sunday morning show featuring a lengthy debate on "Don" and the "hos" remark, the decidedly uncontroversial Don Ho, has passed at the age of 76. Who doesn't like tiny bubbles?

(By the way, what's with me and the obituaries? Brain surgery has made me weirdly morbid.)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

JAV,

Ok, I apparently only comment on your obituarial posts. (Keep 'em coming?)

When I was living in Honolulu (the 70s), my Grandparents from Stoughton, MA (a burb of Boston) visited us. They were a fairly provincial couple -- happy in the neighbhood.

My folks took her to the Don Ho show, where sure enough Mr. Ho pulled her out of the crowd -- no doubt sensing an wide-eyed outsider. He gave here a Lei, asked here to Hula and ended the crowd pleaser with a kiss (which she promptly wiped off -- she was no infidel even though Mr. Ho was apparently a hunk).

We have a great pic -- I'll see if I can find it. BTW My father swears Mr. Ho was at least a decade older than was claimed (76). Might have been all of the tiny bubbles.

SJS

JAV said...

SJS, I'm starting to worry that we may have identified a weird crinkle in the cosmic universe.

Perhaps you should make a list of the famous/notable people you and your adorable grandmother have come in contact with. If I think they have lead an interesting life as well, then perhaps we should warn them that the publishing of their obit may be immenent (with a subsequent - meaningless - blog post), and they should avoid dangerous situations until I'm back at work.

I have a theory for the source of the cosmic oddity. I notice you haven't med the subject of the third obit: alien abducted Robert Taylor. Or have you? Hmm...

Anonymous said...

JAV,

I really hope David Spade has his affairs in order.

SJS

Anonymous said...

This is a family-oriented blog. We can't have a picture of your grandmother getting lei-d by Don Ho.