Thursday, April 19, 2007

Outside the Dream

Some of you know that my surgery was slightly delayed because one of my surgeons, Dr. John Roland, was in Uganda doing relief work through most of March (the delay had no medical impact, in case you were wondering).

I have had a lot of discussions with Dr. Roland about the work both he and his wife are involved in over in Africa, and it's truly inspiring. So I thought I'd help raise awareness about this important cause (to the five people that read my blog). The real motivation: I'm hoping this will help abate the growing opinion (being fueled by these ridiculous posts) that I am a completely shallow, vapid, Bachelor-watching, celebrity gossip mongering, wanna-be-blonde. (I am those things, of course, save the blonde thing, but I have many layers.)

My doctor's wife is also involved in medicine - pediatric medicine to be exact (they are clearly a family of overachievers). Her passion to care for children in need drove involvement with an organization that helps the most vulnerable children: Outside the Dream. The work they do can be understood through their mission statement:

Our mission is to transform the lives of vulnerable children - aids orphans, child soldiers, abducted girls, refugees - who are motivated to succeed, through education. We collaborate with a number of Uganda-based organizations to locate children who have all the skills, promise, and determination to succeed, but who do not have the means. We provide these children with education, room and board, clothing, medical care, and a family. Our children have faced war, AIDS, unbelievable hardships. Despite these obstacles, our children are excelling. Half of our high school scholars moved to the top ten schools during their first year with us.

If you've read A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier, or heard anything about Ishmael Beah, he is exactly the kind of child Outside the Dream helps. (Ishmael Beah's story unfolded in Sierra Leone, but the children of Uganda are facing the same obstacles).

My doc asked his wife if he could go on one of her trips with her to see what goes on over there. He was so affected by his experience that he began getting involved in his own way. So completely on his own accord, Dr. Roland has recruited three young Ugandan doctors and he makes regular trips to train them and impart all the leading edge knowledge he has access to as an elite doctor in one of the leading US hospitals. You should hear him talk about it - he believes (and I believe) he is changing the future of health and hearing in this needy country. Proof that one person can make a difference.

If you're interested in finding out more (or making a contribution to Outside the Dream), you can check out their website:

http://www.outsidethedream.org/index.html

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, donation done. Hugs to your hubby (LET'S GO METS!)

JAV said...

Helen! You're awesome. Glad you felt compelled - it's a great cause.

Terence went to the game last Saturday. He took some pix of the beginning of construction on the new stadium. Very exciting.

xo

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for alerting me to this effort -- what a stand-out cause. So glad to be able to help in a small way. It reassures me somehow that the people who sawed into your skull are dedicating their time and skill to this sort of thing. What it has to do with brain surgery I'm not sure, but I think karma counts, no amtter what the context.

xo,

--Ali

JAV said...

No connection to brain surgery, but I agree - good karma doesn't hurt ;)